A Rugby Australia leader has been charged with four offenses amid an ongoing Australian federal police investigation into a network of alleged offenders gaining access to material on child sexual abuse.
AFP on Friday searched a Surry Hills residence and arrested 41-year-old James Selby, who seized his laptop and cell phone, which allegedly contained material for child abuse.
Selby is accused of allegedly using a transport service to request the misuse of child material, possession or control of child abuse material, use of a transport service to access child abuse material and to have child abuse material transferred to itself using a transport service.
AFP claims that Selby paid an overseas party to produce material for child abuse, and that chat messages on his cell phone described child abuse.
Selby has been denied bail and appeared in Parramatta Local Court on 18 September.
He will face the next court on November 10, and if he is convicted, he risks a prison sentence of a maximum of 15 years per year. Violation of the law.
A Rugby Australia spokesman confirmed to NCA NewsWire that Selby’s employment had been terminated with immediate effect.
He worked for Rugby Australia for over three years in an administrative, office-based capacity and is not suggested to have worked directly with the organization’s coaching staff or players.
According to his Linkedin profile, Selby worked in sports management roles for over twenty years, including at the Football Federation Australia, the Australian Sports Commission and Athletics Australia.
“RA takes all matters relating to the conduct of its employees very seriously,” it said in a statement from Rugby Australia.
“RA has high standards of conduct and behavior to ensure that we reflect and protect the diversity of the communities of which we are a part.
“The RA board met and decided to terminate the individual’s employment immediately.”
Selby was arrested in connection with Operation Arkstone, through which AFP targets a network of alleged offenders who share child abuse material online.
Since February 2020, Operation Arkstone has arrested 21 people, 15 of whom were residents of NSW. So far, the operation has removed 55 Australian child victims from injuries as well as 11 animals.
“Conversations and content produced and shared online about child abuse are terribly overwhelming,” AFP Detective Joel Wheeler said in general.
“AFP’s child protection officers and digital forensic specialists investigate every conversation, video and image identified during a search warrant to find the child being abused and stop not only their direct abuse, but the other child sex offenders who fund this industry. and helps people make money on the terrible end result. ”
Operation Arkstone is underway.