Richard Sherman signs with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Veteran cornerback Richard Sherman has signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team announced Wednesday.

A source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter that Sherman signed a one-year contract.

Sherman had been in discussions with the Buccaneers for several weeks, saying on “The Richard Sherman Podcast” that several teams, including the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks and Carolina Panthers, also expressed interest.

“I went with the best offer I had, the best opportunity to go out there and put a good band on to lead another group,” Sherman said. “I feel safe and secure in my ability to go out there and execute and help that team win.”

Sherman said quarterback Tom Brady also reached out to him.

“He’s the all-time great quarterback who reaches out, and anytime he makes that call, it’s a very difficult opportunity to let go,” Sherman said.

Sources told ESPN’s Ed Werder on Tuesday that Sherman thought he needed a week or two to be ready to play in a game.

The Buccaneers become Sherman’s third NFL team after spending the last three seasons with the 49ers and starting his career with seven seasons in Seattle.

Sherman, 33, can provide valuable experience on one of the league’s youngest defensive backfields. He is also a confident tackler, which has been a problem for the Tampa Bay defense this season.

The Buccaneers are without Sean Murphy-Bunting, who was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated right elbow on Sept. 20, and Jamel Dean, their third corner kick, who left Sunday’s game against the Los Angeles Rams with a knee injury in the first quarter and did not return.

Sherman is considering legal issues and has a pre-trial hearing scheduled for Friday in Washington. He was arrested in July in connection with a situation at his wife’s parents’ home in Redmond, Washington, and was charged with five counts, including two counts of domestic violence – second-degree criminal misconduct and third-degree malicious misdemeanor – and resisting arrest. , driving under the influence and ruthless danger to road workers.

He pleaded not guilty to all five charges and said in a statement on Twitter in July that he was “deeply remorseful” over his actions and “behaved in a way I am not proud of.”

In February, King County prosecutors and the sheriff also obtained an “extreme risk protection order” for Sherman, which prevented him from carrying weapons after a judge ruled he posed a danger to himself and others. Details of the case were sealed.

Buccaneers did their due diligence on Sherman’s legal situation and believe he has the necessary support systems in place, sources told ESPN’s Jenna Laine.

.

Leave a Comment

x